INES is an Organisation of Scientists and Engineers That Promotes Global Responsibility for Peace and Sustainability.
- Abolition of nuclear weapons
- Promoting the responsible and sustainable use of science and technology
- Implementing ethical principles in the education of scientists and engineers
- Promoting disarmament for sustainable development
INES Mission Statement
The International Network of Engineers and Scientists for Global Responsibility (INES) is a multidisciplinary independent professional non-profit organization dedicated to fostering peace and sustainability. It represents scientists and engineers worldwide, either as individual members or through its member organizations.
The primary aims of INES are to facilitate discussions, organize and support campaigns, organize conferences, run projects and offer critical, fact-based evidence in support of international peace and security, sustainability and – as a crucial element of it – intra- and international justice.
INES Statement on Nuclear Energy
At the INES Council meeting on April 28th, 2012 in Vienna, the statement opposing nuclear energy was adopted unanimously by the INES Council members.
- Lobbies for nuclear disarmament.
- Campaigns for disarmament for sustainable development.
- Campaigns for the committment of universities to peace and for the reduction of military spending.
- Promotes the awareness of ethical principles and the specific responsibility of engineers and scientists.
- Participates in “whistleblowing“ campaigns to support those who have been victimised for altruistically speaking up against illegal, unfair or otherwise ethically doubtful practices that they heard of or experienced in the course of their professional or public duties.
- Encourages and facilitates public discourse and international communication among concerned scientists.
- Organises international conferences and regional workshops.
- Raises public awareness.
- Promotes environmentally sound technologies.
- Supports publishing books, e.g., Einstein, Peace Now!; Joseph Rotblat: Visionary for Peace.
INES is a member of the International Peace Bureau (IPB) and closely cooperates with IPB as well as the International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War (IPPNW) and the International Association of Lawyers Against Nuclear Arms (IALANA).
INES actively participates in the Middle Powers Initiative and has been present at the European Social Forums since 2000 and at the World Social Forums. INES is co-initiator of a Science and Democracy World Forum.
INES was founded in 1991
in Berlin at the international congress “Challenges - Science and Peace in a Rapidly Changing Environment“ and has become a network of over 160 organisations and individual members.